J-Wild

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Moral Values

I was all excited to write my "iTunes" blog update today, but before I started to write I went to read the editorial page of the NY Times. Today there was a commentary by Nicholas Kristof concerning the genocide that is happening in Darfur. It was his first two sentences that cut me deep and left me with unavoidable thoughts for the entire day. His comments were, "Photos don't normally appear on this page. But it's time for all of us to look squarely at the victims of our indifference."

I admit that I feel helpless as to know what I can do about the genocide in Darfur. But each time I said that to myself it seemed to ring so hollow and untrue. Especially as I looked at the corpse of a child barely older than my son laying face down in the dirt. If you know me you know I can become passionately opinionated concerning just about everything whether it matters or not. So how can I look at the body of this child who was treated worse than an animal and stay silent?

During the course of reading Mr. Kristof's article I had to fight back the tears and my own anger at my indifference. In the article he quotes Senator Paul Simon who said; "If every member of the House and Senate had recieved 100 letters from people back home saying we have to do something about Rwanda, when the crisis was first developing, then I think the response would have been different."

I am choosing to have faith and believe that a letter can make a difference. For this post I wish to have only one comment left by you my readers. I've Mailed My Letters.
Here is where you can find the address of your Senators and Congressmen.

To read Nicholas Kristof's article plase go here.
To read Bono's recent editorial concerning Africa go here.
NY Times Subscription Required (sign-up it's free!)

There is no greater "Moral Value" than to defend the innocent and the persecuted. I believe at judgment day it is my indifference to the killings of little ones like him that will burn in my soul more than anything else. Please, I beg you to take ten minutes and write the most impassioned letter you can, and perhaps with the help of God, relief can come. Dear, Lord let it come, and forgive us for our evil.

4 comments:

J-Wild said...

I've mailed my letters.

Chris Ewing said...

i too will send my letters, BUT i cannot stress enough that we cannot put ALL of our hope in the government taking action. The Church has to stand up to speak and act. What does that look like? Mission Trip: Darfur? i don't know yet and the Church will never know how to address such horror if it continues to waste its energy on futile crusades like saving the sanctity of marriage which has already been lost with a 50% divorce rate. Writing to Washington is very necessary, but it is not enough. The Church finally needs to physically and spiritually pick up its cross and follow him who we claim to live for.

Brandon said...

I've mailed my letters. Thanks J

TKP said...

way to go man. Sudan has been on my heart a lost this past year. i just finished sending my letters to my senators and congressman. thanks for the reminder.