J-Wild

Monday, October 03, 2005

A Little Help


I have a dilemma. I need to exercise. 5' 6" and 132lbs isn't hearty enough, and it's really bad in the winter when I can't catch my breath for two stops after running for the train. I joined the gym a while ago, and went for three months. Then I re-joined for another three months and didn't step foot in the place. I seriously underestimated how busy my summer was going to be, and I was too tired from dealing with Levi's schedule. Plus our elevator has been out for 5 months and we live on the top floor of our building. Walking those six flights of stairs, carrying 25lbs of wiggle, and various diaper and work bags snuffed the fire for going to the gym completely out.

So now that I have donated money to the local health club, I am looking for a way to stay somewhat active, without the ball and chain of a gym membership.

That's where the bike idea came in. I can get four miles of biking in everyday if I ride to work and back. I can't run, because my brain synapses aren't made for runs lasting longer than about 30 seconds. Roller-bladding seems like a death sentence when you factor in the hills, cabs, and uneven streets. Biking is fast enough, safe enough (I think), and conducive to carrying a bag. But I don't know what kind of bike to get or how much to spend. There is also the weather. So I need your advice.

Should I....

A) Get realistic and face that fact that when it's 12 degrees outside in December I am not going to ride anywhere on my bike. So take the money, get disciplined and join the gym for the fall and winter.

B) Buy a bike and a proper fitting helmet and take advantage of cruising in Central Park on my way to work.
b.1) What kind of bike should I get? Street or Mountain. With shocks or without.
b.2) How much should I spend?
b.3) Should I buy used or new?
b.4) What are the must have accessories for an Urban bike rider?
b.5) Spandex or Cotton?

I would appreciate any advice or insight you could provide.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmm...well mountain bikes are way cool and can be used for on road or off. but obviously on road u go slower. road bikes-very fast on road..don't even try it off.

mountain bikes just take a lot more effort to actually get the use out of them, and in a place like NYC...i'd go with a road bike if I were you. specially if you don't have a car to tote your bike up to the mountains in. If you do have a car ( i can't remember if you sold yours or not) then upstate N.Y. im sure has some high quality mountain biking trails which would be killer fun to hit. just takes a little more effort to get to.

sounds like u just wanna go back and forth to work and 'round town. so yeah, road bike seems best.

how expensive??? you'd be well served with a low end Bike shop kinda bike, which runs around 500+. but if you do tha route, just take care of it...you gotta be sure to lock it up good in NY.

i got a $600 bike b/c i wanted to take pride in it. and i don't regret my decision. but if you don't care, don't waste ur money. target will do for you. its not like ur gonna break it.

either way, a bike is the greatest thing ever in a city. you'll be amazing at how fun it is speeding around town much faster than you ever have. its funny to beat cabs down the street. my roommate took mine out one day and came back saying "that was the most fun i've had in a long time"

aight, thats my 2 cents. good luck!

Anonymous said...

oh, and theres also hybrid tires that will do on and off road.

jch said...

Jason, don't get the bike just yet. As you well know, mine sits in my office. You will not ride in the winter. I've tried it. It sucks. So when March/April of 2006 rolls around, let's have this discussion again.

jch said...

And if you do decide to buy a bike what kind of frame do I get is the most important question you'll ask. The four major type of frames are steel, aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber. From heavy and durable (steel) to light-weight and less durable (carbon fiber) there are many choice to make.

Wanna try out mine for a while?

Byron said...

I am a wann be biker, but Kenny is for real. I will have him answer your questions. When I say for real, I mean buys the coolest stuff out there and uses it.

Byron said...

5'6"? Really? Standing on what book?

J-Wild said...

I was waiting for that...thank you Byron for not disappointing. Now get back to making those seventh graders carry you around on your throne.

Joe, I would love to borrow your bike, but I would definately need to lower that seat.

jch said...

Oh yeah, if B. Young tries to give you any advice be forewarned: this is the guy who got ran over by a car once.

RD said...

I agree with Joe, do not listen to Brandon Y. I've been riding with him before and well...

Here are my recommendations based on some riding and brief visits to NY:

Frame: Alumunium Touring Frame - these are a little beafier than true road racing frames and can be equipped with V Brakes (a little more stopping power which could save you from a suddenly opened car door).

Fork: If you can put together the cash, buy a carbon fork. It absorbs a lot of road vibration.

Pedals: Platform pedals should do the trick. If you get adventurous try platform pedals with clipless cages built in. This requires special shoes (more $).

Fender: not the guitar. Fenders come in handy on rainy days.

Lights: good lights, front and back

Tires: Touring tires, good for commuting. Again, a little beafier than racing tires.

More information than you probably wanted. Have fun man!

Russ