J-Wild

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Me and Katie!


Katie and I have something in common (yes she is that short). For the past few weeks (10 to be exact) I have had some gastrointestinal issues which have caused me to loose about 10lbs. After going to my general practice doctor several times and not finding a remedy it was time for me to go see a gastroenterologist. After our initial meeting he told me that I had to have a colonoscopy so he could see what was going on "in there."

Not expecting to do this until I was 50 I was a little unnerved (I am not a good patient), but with Katie as my guide and Allison and my encourager I set about "preparing" myself for the procedure the next morning. I was supposed to drink two liters of this solution in 80 minutes, it took me four hours and I had to spike the solution with Gatorade to get the last three glasses down.

The next morning I went to the office to take a peak at what's going on. They gave me an injection of demerol and valium to help me relax...it worked, and made me kind of chatty. Here's the scene, I am laying on this table, looking back over my shoulder at the TV monitor while the doctor is maneuvering the endoscope through my innards and I am saying things like:
"So why did you decide to become a gastroenterologist? I heard the hours are good."
"WWWooooowwww this is just like the Discovery Channel except it's me."
"I think that's the left-over Gatorade that I drank last night."
"You're pretty good at this, it doesn't even hurt."
"Got it...nice." (while the biopsies were being taken)
The initial diagnosis was minor case of Crohn's Disease (on a severity scale of 1-10 I was expected to be between a 2 or a 3). The test results that I got back today were somewhat inconclusive and my blood test came back with slight indicators for Celiac Disease. So my doctor wants me to come back for an Upper Endoscopy so he can be completely sure I don't have Celiac. He is pretty sure it's still Crohn's since the medicine I have been taking (Asacol) has seemed to be helping my issues.

So next week I have another date with an endoscope and some more sedatives. Although this time I think it's going to be really hard for me to ask as many questions! Oddly enough Katie had the same procedure done this morning on The Today Show except she got to swallow a pill and I think I get to do it the old fasion way.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, of course it's fake. Katie may be short but there isn't any way Jason is that much taller. Jason's like 4'11" standing on a set of encyclopedias.

kenny said...

Oh my. Jennifer, take my word for it - that is a horrible photoshop job... Jason, you know better than that.

J-Wild said...

Jennifer, the fact that you even thought for a second that the picture could even possibly be me you are my new favorite person. The person with Katie is actually Andy Roddick who is 6' 2" and 190 lbs.

Anonymous, whenever your brave enough to come out from behind your anonymity you will find me ready and able to kick your butt. Meet me at 3:30pm at Columbus Circle....bring your shin guards!

Kenny, it is an awesome PhotoShop job. Yea the lighting on the face and skin tone is totally different, but what do you expect from a hack!

holly said...

I'm glad to hear you're at least closer to figuring out what's going on.... even if it did involve *ahem* probing.

Drew Battistelli said...

So- I suffer from Crohn's disease... I was definitley in severe area.

The Asacol didn't do anyting for me, but now I've found a great collection o 3 medicines that are keeping me good.

I lost 75 lbs. Then gained almost 100 on the steroids. Now I've lost about 30 of them.

kenny said...

I'm speechless and just so confused... Did you all REALLY think that was a real photo?

Anonymous said...

I thought it was real but then I figures he had his arm around a cardboard cutout of Katie.

Jason's Mom

J-Wild said...

Kenny, see I've got photoshop chops. Perhaps you should have a contest on your blog. Have six different pictures and have some of which have been doctored and some that have not. Then see who can guess which have been doctored by you and which haven't.

I have obviously proven my skills when I can fool even my own family. Let me know when you are ready to step up.

Jana said...

Boy you are crazy. Sorry about the pooping problems.

kenny said...

check yer e-mail punk.

emily anna said...

Jason,
This is Emily (the food girl) from camp a few years ago! I read your blog often and love hearing about how things are going! Hope you start feeling better... tell Allison I said hi!
Emily