J-Wild

Friday, November 18, 2005

Top Five - Germ Neurosis



I am not a big germophobe. In college I worked at a nice resturaunt and my good friend Chris Bedard and I would frequently eat the leftovers off of the plates we bussed from peoples tables. Especially if the plate belonged to an attractive women, who ordered the steak but only took two bites of it. We would cutt off the eaten part and split the back half...it's called the 'Busboy Buffett.' Currently I will eat something that falls on the floor (which no one in NY does), I will use Allison's tooth brush if I forgot mine, and I don't get freaked out by people double dipping (such not a big deal). But there are certain things that just give me the creeps. Here are my top five biggest germ neurosis.
Picture of Levi at 7 months - notice we ran to get the camera, not take his mouth off the toilet handle. It is our toliet, so that's a little better right?

5. Drinking straight from the soda can. - Disgusting! Most sodas are stored in wharehouses for months before they are actually shipped out to consumers. Then they sit in the back storage rooms of the bodegas, convience stores, or grocery stores for a couple of days before they are set out for us to buy. In the back rooms of all these places are mice, rats, chipmonks, and other rodents. They poop, pee, and mate all over the tops of those cans...sick! The only way to be safe is rinse the top out and pour it in a cup.

4. Drinking after people. - Other than my immediate family (Allison and sometimes Levi) I don't like to drink after people. I will taste another persons alcohol beverage (mainly because I am too cheap to try it for myself), but when it comes to normal drinks...I can't do it. I just imagine the floaties and backwash that's in there and it ruins it for me.

3. Subway poles in the summer. - If you can't see why that would be disgusting then you have problems. I did see a kid one time, had to be about four, who licked the subway pole from the very bottom to as high as he could stand and then down again. When his mom finally saw him she (and everyone else) was so horrified that all she could do was smack him in the mouth and tell him to never do that again. As soon as she turned back around he did it again!

2. Buffet at the corner bodega. - I don't understand how so many people can just load up on cottage cheese, buffalo wings, and boiled eggs and think what they are eating is safe. So disgusting.

1. Sleeping on other peoples sheets. - I am getting freaked out just thinking about it. If they are washed then I can deal with it, but I could never curl up in other peoples sheets because I can't help but think about all of those mites, bed bugs, and dead skin cells attaching to my body.

There is my list, and believe me I am not very germophobic compared to other people I know here in NYC.

6 comments:

holly said...

I was walking into our apartment building one day, and there was a kid (2 or so) in the courtyard playing with his mom. She threw a ball, he went to get it... got distracted...she called his name, he turned around... with a huge clump of pigeon feathers sticking out of his mouth.
I couldn't decide whether to laugh or hurl.

Anonymous said...

True, all of this is pretty disgusting when you think about it..so its just best not to. Plus the more you protect yourself from germs the more succeptible you are to them. Like people who wear those masks on the plane. They just make it worse for themselves. Germs are everywhere. You can't avoid them.

kenny said...

I remember reading some article before Erin was born that talked about the correlation between dirt/germs and allergies. That allergies used to not be a problem because kids got dirty - all the time. They were always outside playing in the dirt, eating worms, making mud pies, playing in sandboxes, scraping their knees... sadly, that's much rarer nowadays. I'm gonna let Erin eat dirt in our backyard if she wants to. I might even join her.

erinlo said...

I remember that I used to think people who used those seat covers for the grocery basket for their kids were such germophobes! That was until one day while grocery shopping with Silas in the gracery cart, he puked all over it. I ALWAYS either take a cover or wipe the basket down with a disinfectant wipe now.

Jana said...

Thanks. I needed the laugh. That story about the kid on the subway is hilarious.

BTW, I am most certainly a one-hundred-percent germaphobe. Oh, the stories I could tell...

Stacy said...

Well thanks a LOT. My Sunday morning breakfast consists of a Diet Coke from the vending machine at Fortress. A CAN. Now I'll have to find a way to leave early enough to stop at Sonic on the way to church to get my Sunday morning fix.

I completely identify with #2. In fact, I do believe I've blogged about that very thing before. I share my drinks with my kids, 'cause I'm a good Mom that way. But I'll sooner go thirsty than to drink out of that same cup when they're done. ICK.

Enjoyed your post... linked here through Joe's blog.

Stacy in Fort Worth