J-Wild

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

State of the Union


Here is why you should bother watching. This President so rarely (in a comparative sense) speaks or holds news conferences addressing the entire nation that the opportunity of hearing it from the horses mouth should be taken advantage of.

I know there are a lot of you bleed GWB and others of you who can't even look at the man. In any case the next few days we will be inundated by "spin" from administration officials, pundits, reporters, and blogs about what the President said or didn't say. Seeing and hearing things for yourself is vital in deciphering the good analysis from the bad. Filtering the "spin" through your first hand account of hearing the President for yourself is the only honest and authentic way of analyzing what the President says the state of our Union is.

Of course you could also turn it into a drinking game. In that case I am sure Bush will start making a lot more sense as the night goes on.

My Analysis: The big thought I had after the State of the Union is, the Presidency of George W. Bush as we have known it is over. Gone are the ambitious policy agendas and in it's place are broad statements of ideology that lack specific policy initiatives. Last year it was social security, immigration reform, tax simplification, debt reduction, etc. All of those things were blocked or defeated in congress. All I really picked up on is a reduction in discretionary spending and call for a different oil strategy. Bush's political capital has been spent (more correctly wasted) and now he must be conciliatory and reach out to compromise with congress and the Democrats if he wants to get anything of substance accomplished.

With a thousand days left in office Iraq, Katrina, wiretapping are the big millstones around his neck. We'll see how much longer he can keep his head above water.

7 comments:

christine pinson said...

so i watched it for myself...now i am ready for your spin...

Unknown said...

Had I played my own drinking game, I would have been passing-out-drunk by the 9th minute...well before my own prediction.

It was a mildly interesting hour, solely redeemed by the raucous behavior of the Democrats when W tried to chastize them for not signing his social security bill. I thought that was priceless.

Oh, and the close-up of Hillary shaking her head at one of his statements. You could see the wheels turning: "If American can elect this idiot, I am gonna win in a cake walk!"

jch said...

There was a presidential speech last night? For that matter, we have a president? Hmm...

Jana said...

Yes, I'm waiting for J-Wild's spin too! Any thoughts of Cindy Sheehan being removed from the House just minutes before coverage began?

Casey. said...

I watch the State of the Union Address like other people watch sports. I yell at the TV and have to leave the room alot so my rage at the stupid plays being made doesn't overwhelm me. The feeling I got from last night's speech is that GW has just given up. There was a lot of "well I tried, but you wouldn't let me" language. At one point he said something about how presidents from both parties would be dealing with the War in Iraq. I was amused that even he acknowledges that this might be the end for a little while.

I would like to add "freedom" to the list of words for the drinking game.

Chris Ewing said...

abortion rates and teenage pregnancy rates are down?? Really?

Kyle said...

I like your analysis. Also, this is the first time I've checked your blog since the new design. I like.