J-Wild

Thursday, February 08, 2007

An Unassuming Vest

I am a dad. Perhaps I am even reaching the point of becoming a father. I embrace these roles whole heartedly and with a healthy dose of intimidation thrown in too. I am also really thankful that I am in a marriage that views parenting as a partnership that uses each of our strengths and works around our weaknesses. I embrace an egalitarian view of being in a marriage and being a parent. Not that I had a choice in the matter, but it's still all good.

Enter "The Vest," you see pictured to the left. It looks like a normal unassuming vest right? It has the right color of orange, and the proper accenting of black. It also appears to have the right number of "athletic preparedness pockets." Each pocket seems easily accessible in case you are stranded in the woods or downhill skiing and you need quick access to the iPod or PowerBar. At least that is what you assume, until you click on the link that says Detailed View which reveals the true nature of this vest.

I'll let the image soak in for a second...

DadGear appears to have it's heart in the right place. Attempting to masculinize the gear that needs to follow a baby or toddler everywhere they go is certainly a worthy effort, and one I support and am appreciative of. But there is something about seeing a vest like this, and then realizing that it isn't stocked with a GPS device, or a Bowie knife, but instead it's pockets are to be filled with pumped breast milk, diapers, wipes, and a changing pad. That's a little, well um, grounding.

I'll probably end up getting one seeing as how I am not going to be in the woods or snow skiing anytime soon, but I will be having another son. Now if they could put a small video screen in it, that would be really great!

4 comments:

kenny said...

may as well get me one too... that is, if you're ordering.

Byron said...

A boy!!! Great news.

Jana said...

levi's having a brother? sweet!!! btw, the harding video is hi-larious.

annalee said...

another isbell is coming into the world?! what wonderful news! miss you guys, tell allison hello from me too!