J-Wild

Monday, September 21, 2009

She's Not Here.

Ok here's the situation. Over a year ago I thought it would be an interesting experiment to see how long it would take for people to find Allison on Facebook. She reluctantly agreed to let me set up an account for her. So I created a profile for her but I didn't friend her just to see how quickly someone who registered for Facebook but didn't use it would be found by their friends and family. She, being resistant to FB to begin with, never logged in to her account, and it was left at that.

For months nobody requested her as a friend, until Facebook added the "You Might Know This Person" function. Then the requests started coming in, and I got into a little bit of trouble. From the beginning Allison didn't want to be on Facebook which I should have respected, but at the time I was drowning in the FB wave of awesomeness so I pushed it.

Here's the thing, the account that I set up for her is impossible to delete. I have tried everything I can to kill it but it refuses to die. This has given me a slightly uneasy feeling about Facebook and has made me second guess the decision to sign up in the first place. You should be able to delete yourself from FB if you want to, but apparently you can't really.

So, to all of you out there who are waiting for "friend approval" from Allison, I am sorry but it will never come. But it has nothing to do with you, and certainly nothing to do with Allison's feelings for you either. I apologize for the confusion.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jason,

Found this on a board, which might help with your dilemma. I believe that your have to be signed on to the account you want to try and delete. It won't delete any previous wall posts you made with that account if any.

P.S. Tell your mom Noel says Hi

http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

Go to (working link above):
Click "Submit" and follow the instructions.

Your account will be deactivated for two weeks, and if you DO NOT LOG IN during that period, your account is permanently deleted. I REPEAT: don't panic if your profile isn't deleted right away! You must NOT try to log in to your account for at least two weeks, as it will cancel the deletion request. If you want out - stay out, mmmkay? ;)

This method is official and should be complete, i.e. no need to delete individual photos, comments, messages or items from your profile or anywhere else on Facebook! If you have any concerns whether your stuff is actually deleted (as opposed to being kept somewhere in the deep dungeons of Facbook's HQ) your best bet is to ask them using email: info@facebook.com.

erinlo said...

Hi Jason! I miss your posts!!! Where are you? Are you guys doing OK? Just wanted to check in!