J-Wild

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Monkees = Planet of the Apes

=

I have been on a story search for a high school retreat I am planning this weekend. One of my favorite places to find great stories is by listening to a show called "This American Life" on NPR (you can listen to every episode free via their website). One of the "episodes" is called 20 Acts in 60 Minutes. Within the episode there were these guys who methodically matched up bands with their contemporary TV show. I thought this would be a fun post. So here are some rules to get you started and some examples:

Criteria:
Longevity, Era, Critical Acclaim, Commercial Success, Esthetic Sense

Examples:
"The White Stripes" and the show "24"
"Rolling Stones" and the show "Gunsmoke"
"Hendrix" and the show "Twilight Zone"
"Lynard Skynard" and the "Beverly Hillbillies"
"The Black Crowes" and "That 70's Show"
"Hal and Oats" and "Bosom Buddies"
"U2" and "Mash"

There's the challenge....if your pairings aren't obvious then make your case.

PS: What's up with "24" by the way. It's not that great of a show, the acting is awful and how many times can Jack Bauer offer himself up to the bad guys before everyone around HQ starts rolling their eyes and thinking "Why the heck do you think you're so special?"

4 comments:

JD said...

My family is addicted to 24 ... I hate it. It reminds me of the dry heaves... all action with no results.

I don't get the music/tv show thing ... I guess I'll just go get my manpurse, snap on my belt clip cell phone holder, and continue deeply into dorkism.

kenny said...

yeah, gotta agree with JD on this one. I just don't get the music/tv game. It's above my head.

However, I'm a big fan of 24. The first season got me hooked. Now I'm their pawn.

Anonymous said...

Rilo Kiley and Veronica Mars...they're both hip, cool, whip-smart, and unlikely to develop a large following.

Interpol and the American remake of The Office...because they're both soulless copies of a British original (Joy Division in the musical instance).

Pulp and Monk...the stars of both are quirky geniuses who probably need a keeper.

By the way, you posted an iMix, and talked about Shatner doing "Common People". In case you didn't know, that's one of Pulp's truly extraordinary songs to begin with. The lyrics are by Jarvis Cocker. Shatner's cover had such unlistenable music I couldn't follow it long.

Anonymous said...

I totally disagree 24 is freakin sick. It rocks in comparison to all the other television, nothing comes close to it with regard to action and adventure, pure man juice stuff!

Out