J-Wild

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Bike


Last Friday I finally got my new bike. After saving Christmas and birthday money I had enough to get a hybrid bike. I had to get the child's seat. The bike is made by Specialized and the model is the Sirrus. It's a hybrid bike and so far I really like it. Riding to work is fantastic, and taking Levi around the city is great.

This might sound dumb, but you don't really get how powerful cars are until you are riding right next to them and they just pull away from you like nothing. Just in case his grandparents are reading this, I don't ride on main streets with Levi, and I stay on the sidewalks as much as possible.

I have just started to see how great having a bike in the city is. One thing is for sure, I am out of shape!

4 comments:

Tonia said...

You look great on this bike with your cute son. As per your shape, I guess that it comes with practice.

NOW I also know what it feels like to ride a bike. I learned riding a bike last year, and I should tell you that it was a great achievement to me. First, it was really hard, but then I couldn't force myself to stop riding. Yes, it is really great.

Will you tell what hybrid bike is? I'm also going to buy a bike, what recommendations can you give me?

Linda

J-Wild said...

Hey Linda:

Follow this link for a definition of a hybrid bike. From what I can see they make great commuting bicycles.

I have been really happy with the Specialized brand that I got. The first thing you have to do is decide what price range you want to deal with. From what I could see you could go on three different levels:
Level one $300<
Level two $500<
Level Three $800<

Then of course there is the out of this world range. The bike I got was $500 and it seems to be durable enough for the city, light enough to go fast, and quaility enough to last for years.

Good luck!

RD said...

Jason,
Glad you made the bike purchase! Beyond the physical benefits, I believe there can be some spiritual benefits to transportation under your own power. But watch out for those fast-opening car doors.

Also, look into buying some gloves. You'll be able to ride longer and your hands will feel much better. Specialized makes some good ones under the "body geomety" line. Enjoy!

-Russ

PS: I heard some rumors about you guys while I was at Pepperdine. Rumors about you guys doing some great ministry for a family there in NY. I'm encouraged by your service.

jch said...

Dude, nobody in NYC likes bikes on sidewalks!

As for the "Isbell rumor" that Russ speaks of, I too have heard that they are good at caring for families in need. :)