J-Wild

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Yes. We. Can.

"And what we’ve seen in these last weeks is that we’re also up against forces that are not the fault of any one campaign, but feed the habits that prevent us from being who we want to be as a nation. It’s the politics that uses religion as a wedge, and patriotism as a bludgeon. A politics that tells us that we have to think, act, and even vote within the confines of the categories that supposedly define us. The assumption that young people are apathetic. The assumption that Republicans won’t cross over. The assumption that the wealthy care nothing for the poor, and that the poor don’t vote. The assumption that African-Americans can’t support the white candidate; whites can’t support the African-American candidate; blacks and Latinos can’t come together."

Join the Change We Can Believe In!

6 comments:

The Wrangler said...

I feel frustrated because everyone I tell about Obama says they worry about his Muslim roots. What's on the internet must always be true! Do you have any direct answer regarding this rumor?

Anonymous said...

Great quote and great vision. I just finished watching the Republican debate and it boiled down to two things: war and money. We are more than war and money.

J-Wild said...

I can't even watch the debates. Those candidates have to play to the worst elements in the Republican base.

David Kirk said...

I find your blog very interesting because the church of Christ in my part of the world (West Texas) is all Republican, or else the Democrats keep very quiet. I vote Republican myself but I like to read different viewpoints!

J-Wild said...

Glad you're reading, welcome. So there aren't any yellow dog Dem's around your neck of the woods?

Just to be clear I wouldn't call myself a Democrat, after Bush I reclaimed my independence.

David Kirk said...

This part of Texas is largely Republican. Bush grew up in Midland, about 60 miles from here. My stepmom and aunt were yellow dog Democrats from FDR days. I rebelled and became a Reagan Republican. Thanks for your perspective.