J-Wild

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Lent is coming...

Lent begins on February 25th and I am preparing to give something up for the duration of the 40 days of Lent. I don't observe Lent every year, but most years I find some spiritually compelling reason to let go of something in my life. I have given up various things over the years like certain foods, beverages, blogging, etc. But what I feel spiritually compelled to give up this year is going to present a really big challenge for me.

For Lent this year I plan on giving up...the news.

As any of you who read this blog know, I love news, politics, pop-culture, and current events. If I have to choose between watching 60 Minutes or SportsCenter, 60 Minutes wins hands down.

Since the election and inauguration are over it's time to regain a sense of balance in my life. I have come to realize the the world doesn't hinge on me checking the DrudgeReport, The Huffington Post, or The Daily Beast five times a day!

I have become too distracted by these things, and my Spiritual growth has suffered because of it. I hate admitting that, but it's the truth. So, for Lent I am giving it up, and re purposing the energy of my thoughts to that of Christ instead of Politico.

I am clearing out my internet bookmarks, un-DVR'ing the Nightly News, and suspending the news podcasts I listen to on my commute to work. This is going to be tough, because the news is everywhere you look in NYC. Just standing in line at Starbucks you get the major headlines of the day from the newspapers laying around.

When a person observes Lent Sunday is typically a day of sabbath from your fasts. So I have limited my consumption of news on that day to reading the NY-Times weekend paper that I get (and hardly ever get through).

So here's how you can help. What books, movies, music, or articles have you been reading lately that have helped you to reflect about your spiritual walk. It doesn't have to be explicitly labeled as "Christian" material, but I welcome that as well. And just so you know I have already read The Shack.

5 comments:

The Wrangler said...

You inspire me, Jason.

sallie said...

I'll be impressed...that's like me giving up baking, no can do!

Unknown said...

Does this mean instead of politics and current events you are going to be talking about God all the time? oh...great. Just kidding - I really am impressed and inspired as well. I will be praying for you during this challenging call for preparation and contemplation.

J-Wild said...

Elizabeth: Hopefully I will be listening more to God and talking about it. At least that's the idea anyway. Until then the binging continues!

Susan Moch said...

Hi, Jason:
First of all, greetings from the Pacific Northwest! This is Aaron Mochizuki's mom...you know, Aaron's experience at Camp Shiloh really changed his life! fyi: he is going to start a doctor of osteopathy program in August, one reason being is their program for the underserved!
Your mom told me about your "fast" for Lent and said that you asked for suggestions....so a couple of books come to mind: Thomas Keating's The Better Part, a transformative book for me on contemplative living; the other one I'm reading through: Ronald Rolheiser's The Shattered Lantern, an insightful view of today's world. Both are Catholic, but deep writers. Blessings! ~Susan Mochizuki