J-Wild

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Fifteen Albums

"Think of 15 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. When you finish, tag 15 others, including me. Make sure you copy and paste this part so they know the drill. Get the idea now? Good. Tag, you're it!"

The top fifteen most influential albums of my life in order!

1. Thriller - Michael Jackson: I actually sat my whole family down in the living room to watch me while I lip-synced and danced to Billie Jean when I was in the 4th grade. When my sister started laughing I got upset, made her leave the room, and started over. The "Sgt. Pepper" of my generation.

2. Joshua Tree - U2: The best album from start to finish I have ever heard and it continues to grow and mature right along with me. "Where the Streets Have No Name" is my most favorite song of all time.

3. Depeche Mode - 101: I thought "Somebody" was the best slow song ever, and it was included on every mix-tape I have ever made.

4. Disintegration - The Cure: From 8th grade until my Junior year in high school I listened to that CD on repeat every night when I went to bed.

5. TEN - Pearl Jam: This album expressed every range of emotion I felt while I was in High School. When it's reissued on March 29th the set will come with the MTV Unplugged show they did in 1991. Vedder singing Porch while marking up his arm was as powerful to me as The Who smashing guitars was to a different generation.

6. Peter, Paul, and Mary's Greatest Hits - Peter, Paul, and Mary: I can hear my childhood and my mother's alto voice on each and every song.

7. Louder than Bombs - The Smiths: "Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me" enough said.

8. James Taylor's Greatest Hits - James Taylor: This album is the reason I learned to play the guitar.

9. Fumbling Towards Ecstasy - Sara McLachlan: I could not get enough of her voice or lyrics. One of the most sensual albums I've listened to.

10. Rattle and Hum - U2: The lecture BONO gives the world about glorifying war during "Sunday Bloody Sunday" still gives me the chills, and it's the first U2 album I ever purchased.

11. The Boxed Set - Simon and Garfunkel: Lyrical masters that moved me more like poets than musicians. Kathy's Song is my favorite song to play on the guitar.

12. Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog: Chris Cornell's best album and a glimpse at the power of the two best bands in 1990's getting joining forces.

13. In Rainbows - Radiohead: It's better than OK Computer. Yes it is. No, I am being serious.

14. Conversations - Sara Groves: Stunningly beautiful, deeply sincere, and never trite in it's search for questions and answers about God, faith, and relationships.

15. EP - Borrowed Equipment: $800, four songs, and ten hours in a recording studio with my closest friends and band mates senior year of college. One of the best experiences of my life.

Honorable Mentions (no order in particular):

Wincing the Night Away - The Shins: I can listen to this album all day long.

Illinoise - Sufjan Stevens: Perhaps the next incarnation of Paul Simon. "Casimir Pulaski Day" is devastatingly beautiful.

Try! (Live) - John Mayer Trio: Dudes legit.

The Innocents - Erasure: "Don't cha give me no, don't cha give me no, don't cha give me no, don't cha give me no soooooouuul"

All That Jazz - Breathe: "Raise Your Hands to Heaven" come on people right!?

Invisible Touch - Genesis: I will never forget the video for "Land of Confusion" Reagan and Nancy as a puppets

Passion - Passion Worship CD: First time I had ever heard worship music sound familiar and relevant to me.

Shake Your Money Maker - The Black Crowes: Chris Robinson has the most awesome voice in Rock and Roll.

Motownphilly - Boys 2 Men: Forever singable.

Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 - George Michael: Audacious attempt by an artist to reinvent himself and I loved this album.

Rescue - Acappella: George Pendergrass singing the title track. Doesn't get better for a Church of Christ'er

We Sing Silly Songs - Various: We were a big car trip family and listened to those tapes over, and over again for thousands of miles. It's why I play music for my kids.

3 comments:

kel said...

1. dancing in your car to the smiths, then noticing that matt was in the car next to us, staring at me, was one of my most embarassing moments (until i started having truly embarassing moments)

2. i can't believe nevermind isn't on your list. was it just too cliche living there at the time?

3. can i still get a copy of ep? i don't think i ever even knew about that. i don't know how i missed that...but senior year wasn't one of the best experiences of my life.

4. can we (retroactively) make up a fictional album of you doing covers so i can put it on my list

J-Wild said...

You know I respect Nevermind, but I was much more into Pearl Jam.

Oh man all those covers we did! Some of which we should have stayed far away from.

annalee said...

great post.
i have been thinking about my top 15 on and off the past couple of days.
mine would definitely have U2 and radiohead on there too, only the best of 1980-1990 and the bends, and for totally different reasons.
and i love the shout out to acapella.