J-Wild

Thursday, March 05, 2009

Lent

I was all set to give everyone an update on how my Lenten fast from the news was going. It's going great, by the way. I can definitely feel less ambient stress circling over my head.

Every time I tell someone what I gave up for Lent, they look at me wide eyed and with disbelief. I have taken this to mean not that what I was doing was particularly difficult, but rather people couldn't wrap their mind around ME not watching the news. That's been humbling, bothersome, and something I am coming to terms with.

To be honest I have been pretty proud of myself, and was going to write a post highlighting as much. Until I read this from Amanda Lehman a former student teacher that my mom knew.

Choosing what to “put off” for lent is a bit tricky when you’re living in a remote village in India... Fast food? Beef? Ice cream? Television? Hot showers? Starbucks? Oh wait, that’s right, I don’t have any of those things! Haha. That’s not to say there aren’t plenty of “treats” and comforts in my life. I am in no way suffering! But it was somewhat of a challenge for me to decide what to give up this year.

After much thought, I finally settled on this: my mattress.

Yes, I’m giving up my mattress and pillow for lent. The boys here at the orphanage sleep on hard-wooden beds with a thin mat and blanket. No mattress, no pillow. I am sometimes convicted as I tuck them in at night and then come back home to my warm, cozy bed. It just doesn’t seem fair.
She goes onto say that she isn't trying to be Mother Teresa or trying to make herself sound pious. Rather she is trying the best way she can to firmly fix her eyes on Jesus.

And it is one of the most beautiful and powerful display of humble sacrifice and discipleship that I have come across in a while.

1 comment:

Amanda Seibert said...

Wow, thank you for your kind words! Hope you are enjoying your Lent journey as well. By the way, you have a really cool mom. :-)