J-Wild

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Health Care

If I believe in praying for the sick to become well, then I cannot withhold from the sick the resources to attain that wellness. This healthcare debate is dragging me too deep into the news again. I believe a Lenten news fast is in order, but hiding just doesn't seem ok.

The fact that there is even a discussion about the inherent value of everyone (that includes children) having SOME healthcare exposes the depths of our moral and spiritual depravity.

Is there anything more sinful than denying the sick the care they need? The parable of the good Samaritan reminds us that it COST the Samaritan something (meaning MONEY) to help the stranger, and that was the moral and holy thing to do in the eyes of Christ.

How dare I look down from my employer supplied healthcare ivory tower and tell those below that they are not as valuable or as deserving of medical care as I am. ESPECIALLY since my employer is the Lord's church!

2 comments:

Gwendolyn W. said...

Jason! Blog update needed! How is everything? Allison? The Boys? Miss yall!

Ian said...

Yes, I agree it is good to supply the needs of others. But, I believe the choice to do so is also inherent in the parable of the good Samaritan. If the Gov takes, and then gives for us, our contribution is systematic and impersonal. The cost of this system could be more than monetary, and strike at the benefits found in local community. Our most potent need is for relationship! I am afraid people will become more isolated when their physical needs are met by an impersonal entity. However, I could be over simplifying.